Having a captivating and winning smile is an asset regardless of your gender or age. Your smile allows you to give off a friendly and approachable impression to the people around you. In order to have the lovely smile that you dream of, it is important to observe proper hygiene as well as maintain oral health.
What is Oral Health?
Oral health is the condition where a person is free from chronic facial and mouth pain, gum diseases, tooth loss, tooth decay, oral sores, oral cavity, birth defects and throat or oral cancer. Poor oral health is often due to poor oral hygiene, smoking, regular alcohol consumption and unhealthy diet.
How to Maintain Oral Health
There are many ways that can help maintain as well as improve your oral hygiene. These methods include the following:
- Brush your teeth. It is important to make it a daily and regular habit to brush your teeth. Whether you are an adult or a child, you must brush your teeth at least three times a day, especially after every meal. Make sure that your toothpaste contains fluoride.
- Use the floss. There are times when brushing alone is not enough, as there may be some areas that your toothbrush cannot clean. Use a floss to get into those cracks and spaces between your teeth.
- Gargle with mouthwash. To ensure that you have healthy teeth as well as fresh breath, make sure to gargle with mouthwash. This washes away the bacteria that linger in your mouth that your toothbrush or floss cannot remove.
- Visit your dentist regularly. You should visit your dentist at least twice a year in order to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy. Your dentist can also perform regular teeth cleaning in order to remove the cavities in your teeth.
- Improve your diet. Finally, you should eat healthy. Avoid food with too much sugar as they contribute to the development of cavities.
These helpful steps are simple, yet effective when it comes to maintaining oral health.