Food poisoning is a common, yet distressing and sometimes life-threatening problem for millions of people throughout the world.
What causes food poisoning
Food poisoning, also called foodborne illness, is illness caused by eating contaminated food. Infectious organisms — including bacteria, viruses and parasites — or their toxins are the most common causes of food poisoning.
Food poisoning symptoms
The signs of food poisoning can range from very mild (a passing stomachache) to severe (fever and nonstop diarrhea). Food poisoning symptoms, which can start within hours of eating contaminated food, often include vomiting, nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, headache and abdominal cramps. Food poisoning shouldn’t be ignored.
How to treat food poisoning
It’s very important to start the treatment immediately by using simple and available ingredients from the kitchen.
Below are some of the best home remedies for fod poisoning. In case you have severe diarrhea, dizziness, symptoms of dehydration and vomiting, you need to consult a doctor for further healing instructions.
Ginger is used for treating almost every type of digestive issues, including food poisoning and has proven effective.
– Consume raw ginger slices
– You could also make a ginger tea and sip a cup after lunch or dinner. Boiling 1 teaspoon grated ginger in 1 cup of water and leave it for 10 minutes, then add some honey or sugar and drink it.
– You can also put few drops ginger juice to 1 teaspoon honey and swallow this a couple of times per day to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has alkaline effects that are metabolizing in the body; it can kill bacteria and give an instant relief.
– Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup hot water and drink it before meals.
- Yogurt and Fenugreek Seeds
Yogurt due to its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties can fight the bacteria that cause food poisoning.
– Take 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with 1 tablespoon of yogurt. Swallow the seeds but not chew them. This combination will give you a great relief from vomiting and stomach pain.
Lemon has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and gives an instant relief.
– Consume 1 tablespoon lemon juice with a little pinch sugar 2 to 3 times per day.
– You could also squeeze a lemon in a cup and add warm water. This lemonade will clean the metabolism.
Basil is an amazing herb that helps fight micro-organisms, and sooths the abdominal discomfort that is caused by food poisoning.
– Add some basil leaves, sea salt and a pinch of black paper in 3 tablespoons plain yogurt. Consume this 3 to 4 times per day till the symptoms disappear.
– You could also put a few drops of basil oil into 4 cups of water and sip this slowly through the day.
Garlic has powerful antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It also relieves symptoms as abdominal pain and diarrhea.
– Crush a fresh clove of garlic and swallow it with some water. If you are molested by the smell, try to consume garlic juice.
Bananas are rich in potassium and easy to digest. They are also very effective in reducing the symptoms of food poisoning.
– Eat 1 banana or through it in a blender and make yourself a juice. Consume it 3 times per day.
Try keeping some cumin seeds in your kitchen because among other things, it can ease the abdominal discomfort and the stomach inflammation due to a food poisoning.
– Make yourself a tea. Boil 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in 1 cup water. Put 1 teaspoon coriander juice and little salt. Drink this 2 times a day for a couple of days.
- Herbal Tea
– Peppermint tea is having soothing effects on the stomach and is relieving stomach cramps.
– Licorice tea reduces inflammation
– Drink chamomile tea if you are having nausea.
Honey is a natural remedy with powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties.
-You can add some honey in your tea, but you can also consume it pure, 1 tablespoon honey 3 times per day to relieve stomach pain.