For the last 50 years, Dr Shettles has been considered the most influential fertility expert and the father of IVF. “How to Choose the Sex of Your Baby” is his influential book that made him famous.
This doctor’s theory is based on the differences between X (girl) and Y (boy) sperm, which is said to have a 75% success rate in aiding couples to conceive a baby of the desired sex. However, there is little official research that can prove this.
His theory on conception works on the principle that Y sperm are smaller and faster than their X counterparts but are also more fragile. On the other hand, X sperm are seen as larger and slower, but more flexible and able to survive for a longer period.
If you are carefully timing intercourse in relation to ovulation, you should be able to use this difference to your advantage, according to the doctor’s theory.
Also, you need to know when you are ovulating, which can also be done by monitoring your fertility signals, including your BBT, cervical mucus and cervical position, or by using an ovulation kit.
Dr. Shettles recommends the following if you like to conceive a baby boy:
- Refrain from having sex during the 4-5 days before ovulation because this will help to build up your partner’s sperm count. Have sex as close to the ovulation as possible, preferably on the day of evaluation because it is the time the woman is most fertile. When Y sperm is released just prior ovulation, they are quicker and will reach and fertilize an egg sooner than their X counterparts are able.
- The alkalinity of the “egg white” cervical mucus available before ovulation is the best vaginal environment for Y sperm to survive. Having sex as close to ovulation as possible is advisable because Y sperm are less able to thrive in more acidic conditions.
- Because during the female orgasm alkalinity is increased, Dr Shettles advises having an orgasm before or at the same time as your partner if you want to have a boy. Also, the female reproductive system shrinks during and after orgasm, which helps the way of the Y sperm to the egg.
- When the sex position is concerned, Dr Shettles recommends doggy style or other position that allows deep penetration. This places the sperm deeper in the vagina and nearer the cervix, in an alkaline environment and where the Y sperm have less distance to travel.
How to conceive a girl:
This is what Dr Shettles recommends:
- Unlike the previous tips, if you want to conceive a girl, have sex as much as possible on the days before ovulation but the refrain for 2-3 days before and on the day of ovulation. Sperm can thrive for up to 6 days in the female reproductive system and by the beginning of ovulation the tougher X sperm will remain to fertilize the egg.
- Have sex in a position for shallow penetration, like the missionary because it pushes sperm lower in the reproductive system where the environment is less alkaline. This environment is unkind to the Y sperm and gives the X sperm a further path to travel.
- If you are trying to conceive a girl, women should abstain during the fertile period because the female orgasm increases the alkalinity of the vaginal environment, making it more kind to Y sperm.
Many people don’t believe this theory because there is no concrete evidence that proves it.
Additionally, if you try Dr Shettles timing method and haven’t conceived after a couple of months try having as much sex around ovulation as possible.
However, if you prefer a gender, try Dr Shettles’ timing method which is not too problematic if you already know your fertility signals and know your ovulation period.