Deodorants are really necessary because they eliminate the bacteria that cause odor in our armpits. However, deodorants eliminate good bacteria too. This allows chemicals into our body through the skin and lymphatic system.
Deodorants include many chemicals that are bad for us, such as aluminum. Many studies show that this ingredient could be a cause for breast cancer. Other studies indicate it can cause illnesses such as Alzheimer’s, birth defects, allergies, or hormonal imbalances.
All this shows that by trying to eliminate our body odor, we let many chemicals enter our body and stop the natural detoxification of our body.
Fortunately, there are many natural deodorant recipes you can prepare at home. They also protect from body odor and defend us from chemical overexposure.
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of Arrowroot or Cornstarch
- Essential oils (this is an optional ingredient)
How to prepare it:
First, combine together baking soda and arrowroot or cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. Then, mash in coconut oil with using a fork until everything is well mixed. If you like, you can add essential oils.
Keep the mixture in a small glass jar or an old empty deodorant container.
Recipe for a probiotic deodorant bar:
- ½ cup of Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of Shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter
- ½ cup + 1 teaspoon of beeswax
- One teaspoon of vitamin E oil (this is an optional ingredient)
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda (don’t add this if you have sensitive skin and use more arrowroot instead)
- 1/2 cup of organic arrowroot powder
- 2-3 capsules of Probiotics that don’t need to be stored in the fridge (it is an optional ingredient)
- Choose some essential oil and use about 20 drops of it (this is another optional ingredient).
How to prepare it:
Mix coconut oil, the chosen butter, and beeswax in a double boiler. Melt these ingredients first and then add the dry ones.
Add the vitamin E oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, probiotics, and essential oils. Make sure the mixture is not hot because it can eliminate the probiotics. Stir gently.
If you want to make the mixture into bars, pour into muffin tins or other molds while it is still in liquid form. But, if you want to store it in an old deodorant container, leave the mixture harden for 15-20 minutes at room temperature. Then, use a spoon to scoop it into the container. Before using it, leave it overnight to harden completely.