This popular and trendy way of cooking eggs has everyone going crazy. Forget poaching, frying or hard-boiling. These days, the most popular and trendiest way of preparing egg yolks is by curing.
Burying the egg yolks in a mixture of sugar and salt for a handful of days dries them out and concentrates their flavor. It delivers a unique hint of richness and salt to anything you grate it over.
Cured Egg Yolks
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
1. Combine 1 cup salt and sugar in a bowl.
2. Mix well to combine.
3. Then put half of the mixture in a small baking dish.
4. Separate 4 egg yolks and keep the whites for other use.
5. Place each egg yolk on top of the salt-sugar mixture.
6. Gently sprinkle the yolks with the rest of the salt-sugar mixture.
7. Cover the baking dish using plastic wrap.
8. Refrigerate for 4 days.
9. Remove the egg yolks from the refrigerator after 4 days.
10. Gently brush the salt-sugar mixture off of the egg yolks, using a pastry brush.
11. Remove the remaining salt-sugar mixture off by running the yolks under cold water.
12. Put the yolks on a paper towel to drain any excess water.
13. Place the yolks in a parchment-lined baking sheet.
14. Bake them at 150 degrees for 2 hours.
15. The egg yolks should be semi-firm and may look like dried apricots.
16. Use them right away or place the… Read the rest